Sunday, May 01, 2005

The Chinese in Me

Taxi drivers have on several occasions, embarassing ones, mistook me for a mainlander..."xiao jie...ni shi zhong guo lai de ma (miss, are you from China) *grin*?" Eugh...*grimace* I mean, which part of my "Uncle, to Bukit Batok Central, please" sound like a mainlander. Just cause I am fair (yes, I've been told and I admit I am can easily slip into the role of a walking lightbulb) and I speak Mandarin a little 'funny' sometimes.

Well, why is being referred or mistaken for a mainlander such a turn-off? Unfortunately, many ill media reports and discussions regarding the 'mainland' Chinese have permeated into our very minds - husband stealers, bar hostesses here to make money and potentially husband stealers, materialistic students, women stop-over for a real quick buck...anyone will do as long as there's cash in return. Bad rep all round. I've heard real stories myself. I can understand why.

But I also have a real good friend who hails from the 'mainland' China. And it makes me feel bad and guilty about my reaction to the taxi drivers. My reaction expresses my sub-conscious discontent towards the mainland Chinese women and it scares me. The power of the media and the weakness in human spirit.

Seriously, are there any decent mainland Chinese women at all? Yup, there are. There are many who are here to study, really, and strive for excellence in the field of education, sports, work in the broadcasting to entertain us or to provide information, to teach our young the all important Chinese language in this era, etc.

We all know that China will be the next super power and it seems to be happening sooner right before our very eyes. My mum made several trips to different parts of China and said it's no longer the place that epitomises poverty, poor infrastructure and backwardness. In fact, it's catching up so quick that she almost feels threatened that Singapore and Singaporeans for that matter is or will no longer remain superior for much longer. It's time I change my mindset and lose the stereotyping...and the next time, in my half-past six Mandarin, I'll reply the taxi-driver, minus the grimace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home