Monday, May 22, 2006

Broken Marriages

Another story of a broken marriage. I'm only 30 and I've heard one too many. Stories of different people I know and don't know alike, stories of myraid causes, the end is always the same. A dissolution of the supposed sacred marriage.

As a result of a progressively open society where abundant opportunities are presented before us, lines are blurred and people in general are less tolerant about sticking it out, compromising and making sacrifices. I mean, why sacrifice when I have other options available, right? If this isn't working out, quit, leave, walk out. Simple.

Then what is the point in marriage if, apart from the pain and anger, the process of separation, paying legal fees, afterwhich labelled as divorcee and having had to explain to scores of people, are in the way of moving on? Too much heartache. Too much trouble.

Since a few years ago, whenever I hear a story, there's lots of empathy and sympathy but am no longer surprised nor shocked. Believe me, even what seems to be a happy marriage to you could be one well on the way to end too.

That said, I do still harbour a glimmer of hope that one day, if I do meet the right guy, I'd want to give marriage a shot, work hard at it with no illusions and see how it goes. At the end of the day, there's only 1 life but many opportunities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home