Friday, May 26, 2006

My Book of the Month

I haven't been drawn to a book as much as this one for a long time, almost to the point of an addiction now - "Mr China" by Tim Clissold.

The author is a Mandarin-speaking 'ang moh' who was one, amongst many, of the earliest to pursue economic opportunities in the modern-day China in the 90's. Fooled time and again by highly 'creative and resourceful' Chinese businessmen and a victim of their dynamic legal system. I'm only halfway through the book and he already has my sympathies.

It's funny, insightful and true. Perfect combination. Quote from a Time Magazine review in Feb 2005 sums it up best....

"Clissold, despite being a banker (now working at Goldman Sachs in Beijing), writes wonderfully. The book is sharply observed, funny as hell, and educational for anyone either doing business in China or thinking about it."

The above image is the paperback version I bought at Borders. But, there is an even better cover version that's being sold at Kinokuniaya. Strangely, I can't find the latter version in net coz' I wanted to show you what it looks like without having to explain. Anyhow, go get this version...it's alot more 'China' - red cover with man standing along tree-lined dirt track (you'll see this in a lot of Qiong Yau's melo-dramatic series - wailing children and parents or forlorn lovers separated by growing distance on this infamous road). And for my fellow suit friends, there's even spot uv finishing on the Chinese title. So cool! Hmm...think I'm going to get this for keepsake. :)

Let me know what you think about the book if you do pick it up. Happy reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home